Ingredients for 12 muffins
- 260 g flour (=2 cups)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 120g nuts, dried fruits, chocolate chips, etc. (=1/2 – 1 cup) or
1 -2 cups fresh berries, other fruit or rhubarb, cut into small pieces.
- 140 g brown sugar (=1 cup)
- 1 egg
- 230 ml buttermilk (=1 cup)
- 125g melted butter or margarine (=1/4 cup) or 80 ml oil (=1/3 cup)
- For flavouring add vanilla extract, cinnamon, ginger or rum either to the dry or to the fluid ingredients.
Mix flour with the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Mix egg, buttermilk, oil and sugar. Add nuts or fruit to the flour mix and toss. Pour the fluids over the flour and gently stir until the dry ingredients are just moistened. Fill in prepared muffins pan or liners and bake immediately at 180˚C (=350˚F) for 20-25 min.